As a libertarian-conservative I am gravely troubled by how easily our society has chosen to give up on freedom. Free enterprise, freedom of religion and conscience, free assembly, freedom of movement, freedom of the press. Freedom of speech, in particular, is in a dire state. My entire adult life and career has been spent questioning authority and institutions and conventional wisdom. I’ve been all too aware that in many nations of the world it is against the law to speak truth to power. It can be dangerous. Sadly, in the last year I’ve discovered it can be dangerous here too. Far too many topics have become “unchallengeable” and the mob of political correctness thinks nothing of destroying a person’s career and reputation over some perceived slight, real or imagined.
I’m leaving the mainstream media and I’ve created Danielle Smith community so that people like you can engage in a real conversation about important issues with a spirit of goodwill, curiosity and desire to know the truth. By creating a community of subscribers my hope is it will keep away the trolls and allow us to explore a wide range of topics from a variety of perspectives, without the mob of political correctness hounding us or shouting us down.
To keep the conversation respectful I’d propose a few rules.
- You can post whatever you’d like here as long as it’s legal in Canadian law.
- Please no personal attacks, abusive behaviour or lewd pictures.
- Feel free to suggest a topic or idea you’d like me to pursue.
- I am interested in politics, morality, ethics, philosophy, culture, history, personal finance, the economy, health, education, traditional and new energy, innovation, small business, restaurants, food, trains and dogs. Happy to engage on anything, but I’m not big on sports.
- We really need to work together to make this work.
Please respect the following community guidelines to maintain an enjoyable environment:
- Keep conversation respectful, without personal attacks
- Don’t blow up other members’ feeds. If someone isn’t responding to you, let it be
- No pornography
- Keep out behavior that could be seen as trolling/spamming
- Relax, be yourself, and enjoy